Quote of the Day

8.07.2010

3 reasons to avoid factory produced 'food'

Animal, Vegetable, Miracle: A Year of Food Life (P.S.)The Omnivore's Dilemma: A Natural History of Four MealsAs you may know, I read The Omnivore's Dilemma: A Natural History of Four Meals which pretty much finished off what Animal, Vegetable, Miracle started: Friends don't let friends eat factory-made food. 

What I used to see as 'food' I know realize is 'product': manufactured and marketed like any other product -- not for my good or benefit, but for the profit of industry.

So, I am buying less product and more ingredients. And here are my three of my reasons:

  1. Contaminated feed supplies: Illegal, Experimental, And Potentially Harmful GM Cottonseed Enters Food System.
  2. Cruel living conditions for most meat animals.
  3. Excessive dependence on trucking and thereby on foreign oil.

No comments: