Quote of the Day

5.16.2007

easiest bread ever

In spite of all the things in my life that are grossly neglected, I feel like an absolute success tonight as I served the yummiest, homemade, from scratch, no bread-maker bread. My family ooooo-ed and awwww-ed in a most gratifying manner and my house smells great (just keep your eyes closed or averted as the dust-bunny colonies are developing roads, schools, and churches).

This recipe is old old news, apparently, but I had not run into it. It has only four ingredients, requires no 'proofing' of yeast, no kneading, and no fuss. The only trick is that you have to start it the evening before you want to eat it, around 8 pm works for me.

I used the recipe found at The Unemployed Cook, heeding her advice to cut the water from 1 5/8 to 1 1/2. According to Farmgirl Fare there is a whole slew of variations available in blogland; I'll be trying many of them.

I'm trying to move away from manufactured food. An easy-to-make bread is an attractive piece of my plan. I mixed up tomorrow's batch just now; it took me 3 minutes and 42 seconds. That is doable.

No comments: