Quote of the Day

8.07.2007

Grendel by John Gardner



It's been sitting on my shelf for years. I pick it up. Put it down. Pick it up. Really, who wants to read a book in which the protagonist is the bad guy?

I finally read Grendel, and it was actually worth my time. There is a very touching scene in which Grendel longs to be other than he is, but cannot find the path.
My heart was light with Hrothgar's goodness, and leaden with grief at my own bloodthirsty ways. ~ Chapter 4
There are shades of connection betwixt ill-fated Grendel and the ill-cursed Children of Húrin. How dire it must be to recognize that one is tainted, and have no hope of a cure. Indeed, where would any of us be without a Redeemer?

~Suzanne



:: for more on Grendel, visit Johnathan Sullivan's review

:: related post on my blog: Beowulf


Social Bookmarking



Make my Day! Share this post with Digg Make my Day! Share this post with Del.icio.us Make my Day! Share this post with Reddit Make my Day! Share this post with StumbleUpon Make my Day! Share this post with Yahoo Make my Day! Share this post with Technorati Information

No comments: