Quote of the Day

10.24.2007

works for me: bread-baking

When the days are cold and dreary, as they are now and will be for months and months, I love to bake bread. Mostly because I love to have the oven on to heat up that end of the house and I love the cozy smell of bread baking. I spent a good part of this year polishing up my bread-making skills, which I posted about at the time. Here are the highlights if you want to get started.



:: Bread making with a KitchenAid Stand Mixer and a Bread Oven; more info on bread ovens.
:: Best recipes: Egg Bread, Caraway Rye Bread, No-Knead Overnight Bread, Honeyed Oat & Flaxseed Bread.


Breadbaking is one of those almost hypnotic businesses, like a dance from some ancient ceremony. It leaves you filled with one of the world's sweetest smells...there is no chiropractic treatment, no Yoga exercise, no hour of meditation in a music-throbbing chapel, that will leave you emptier of bad thoughts than this homely ceremony of making bread.
~M.F.K. Fisher, The Art of Eating




What else works for me? Animoto's cool movie-maker.

~Suzanne




edited to add that you should click on the Works for Me badge and go congratulate Sharron, October's featured blogger in Good Housekeeping magazine for her blog, Rocks in my Dryer.

No comments: