Quote of the Day

6.18.2007

egg bread: stand-mixer & bread-oven


One reason I don't like to make bread is that I don't like that 'proofing' stage. So fiddly. Then I don't like the kneading. So much like actual work.

We are making jam today, so I tried to make an egg bread in my bread-maker, but my bread-maker weenied out and we had to transition over to the KitchenAid/oven. Because I was making jam, I didn't want to get involved in anything complicated, so I made the bread all wrong and it turned out great!
easy egg bread

Throw into stand-mixer with bread hook attached:

3/4 C moo
1/3 C water
2 eggs
2 Tb butter
4 C flour
3 Tb sugar
1 tp salt
1 1/4 tp breadmaker yeast

Let mixer run for 20 minutes. Turn out into floured bowl. Let rise till double. Turn out onto floured surface. Knead about 20 turns (whew!). Put back in bowl. Let rise until double.

Put bread oven into oven. Preheat oven to 450.

Put dough into bread oven and put lid on. Bake for 20 minutes.


updated to say:
run mixer on low for 20 minutes;
pull dough off hook and out of bowl; flour inside of bowl; return dough to bowl; leave bread hook in place; let rise until double (about 2 hours)
pop bread hook back in; knead for 4 minutes;
turn on oven to 400-450; flour inside of bowl; put bread oven into oven; let dough rise until double (about 20-40 minutes);
put dough into bread oven; bake for 20 minutes or until it sounds hollow when thumped.
This makes a huge loaf and is perfect for sampling freshly made jam.

~Suzanne

No comments: