Quote of the Day

1.06.2008

Function key (Fn key) is Stuck

Okay, so I learned something the hard way tonight.

Because My Gift is a frustrated guitar artist, Santa brought him Adobe Audition 3, which, in a Moose-a-Muffin sort of fashion escalated into a complete mobilization of our computer, laptops, and spare parts so that he can now have a burly computer system dedicated to his music making.


The Fn (Function) key was permanently toggled into the on position so that I could only type numbers etc with my right hand.

This leaves me with the laptop, the wireless mouse, and the 'natural' style keyboard which I strongly prefer. I just set up the lapto
p at my old computer station and plugged in the curvy keyboard. Everything worked great. Until I unplugged the keyboard and carried the laptop away again.

The Fn (Function) key was permanently toggled into the on position so that with my right hand I could only type numbers etc. (Remember that on a laptop, the number pad is tucked under the right hand letters, toggled by the Fn key). HHHHhhhhmmmmmm.

After A LOT of websearching I learned that I have to -- prior to disconnecting the independent keyboard -- turn NumLock off. Laptops don't have NumLock keys, so if you left it set to NumLock on the big keyboard, it will stay on NumLock.

I am sharing this with you in the off-chance that you someday need it, or that your search term brings you here and I can save you some time. Let me know if it helps, will you?


~Suzanne

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi there!
Thank you so much for posting the stuck FN key issue.

Suzanne said...

Hey Alfred - thanks for your thanks. Every single day someone arrives on this post looking for info on stuck FN keys and you are the only person to say 'hi'. Blessings on you!

Anonymous said...

MY FN HOTKEYS IS NOT WORKING WHICH WAS USED TO INCREASE THE BRIGHTNESS OF MY LAPTOP LCD SO, IF THERE IS ANY ALTERNATIVE KEY CAN U TELL ME

Suzanne said...

I do not know of any alternate key. I'm sorry.