Quote of the Day

6.15.2007

singing table graces

On of my most treasure memories of childhood (aside from the night my Dad snuck blankets out to me when I had fallen asleep in the dog house with the 12 new puppies) was singing our table grace every night before dinner. Part of my pleasure was that my sister has a awesome singing voice and I would close my eyes and pretend I was her. The other part was just the joy that comes from a family singing together.

Among others, we sang
For health and strength
and daily food
we give Thee thanks
oh Lord.

and
This is the Day!
This is the Day!
That the Lord has made.
That the Lord has made.
We will rejoice.
We will rejoice.
And be glad in it.
And be glad in it.


and occasionally the Protestant Doxology, though there was some debate as to whether or not this was suitable outside of church.


We've been teaching these to our children and they too love it. We hold hands, and one of us prays, and then we sing.

I'm curious, does anyone regularly sing their table grace?

~Suzanne



:: this post was entered in Scribbet's June Write Away contest

No comments: