Quote of the Day

7.11.2008

Friday Poetry: Little Summer Poem Touching the Subject of Faith by Mary Oliver

Little Summer Poem Touching the Subject of Faith

Every summer
I listen and look
under the sun's brass and even
into the moonlight, but I can't hear

anything, I can't see anything --
not the pale roots digging down, nor the green
stalks muscling up,
nor the leaves
deepening their damp pleats,

nor the tassels making,
nor the shucks, nor the cobs.
And still,
every day,

the leafy fields
grow taller and thicker --
green gowns lofting up in the night,
showered with silk.

And so, every summer,
I fail as a witness, seeing nothing --
I am deaf too
to the tick of the leaves,

the tapping of downwardness from the banyan feet --
all of it
happening
beyond any seeable proof, or hearable hum.

And, therefore, let the immeasurable come.
Let the unknowable touch the buckle of my spine.
Let the wind turn in the trees,
and the mystery hidden in the dirt

swing through the air.
How could I look at anything in this world
and tremble, and grip my hands over my heart?
What should I fear?

One morning
in the leafy green ocean
the honeycomb of the corn's beautiful body
is sure to be there.
~ Mary Oliver in West Wind: Poems and Prose Poems.






Here is the coding if you want a button with a link to this week's round-up.


:: this post is part of the Friday Poetry roundup hosted by Under the Covers.




~Suzanne



2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I just found your wonderful blog after googling "simple housekeeping" ( always looking for ideas). This poem just nourished my spirit and gave me great comfort as I'm fighting anxiety about starting back to work/school next week. You are a treasure, and apparently surrounded by more treasures!. Thanks for sharing. .

Anonymous said...

This is really a wonderful poem. Touches the mystery and beauty of summer and brings out the hope. Thanks!