Quote of the Day

6.10.2008

Head-to-Toe Beauty Secrets: Hair

Here, for your reading pleasure, are all my beauty secrets.

As this is a Head-to-Toe series, we'll start -- naturally -- with hair.

Hair Beauty Secret #1:
Marc Anthony True Professional Pro Root Touch-Up Permanent Colorant - this stuff is wonderful. I've been home-dyeing for over 20 years (yikes) and have tried lots and lots of products. Prior to this, my favorite for touchups was Clairol Nice & Easy root touch-up, but after Marc Anthony, I'll never go back. The Marc Anthony product requires no pouring and stirring, does not stink, would be very hard to drip, does not stink, covers a lot more hair, and does not stink. Even if you are not covering gray, this would be a great product for adding high-lights or low-lights. Stop by Walgreen's to pick your color and come on over, I'll do it for you. Did I mention that it doesn't stink? It was my enthusiasm for this product that got this whole beauty secrets series started.

Hair Beauty Secret #2: Baking Soda - It's a great a great sludge-remover for hair. Honestly, if you hair has build-up or chlorine or is generally coarse and unhappy, grab your baking soda and head for the bathroom. Wet your hair, apply baking soda, rinse, shampoo as usual. You'll notice that you need far less shampoo to get oodles of foamy suds and your hair will be smooth and bright afterwards. My hair is naturally coarse and has been chemically abused for decades, so I know what I am talking about here.



Hair Beauty Secret #3: In case you care what works for my naturally messy, coarse, color-treated hair, here is what I use for shampoo (Karma Komba Solid Shampoo) and conditioner (American Cream Conditioner). They each last about a year for -- as with all LUSH products -- a little goes a long way.
Karma Komba Solid Shampoo American Cream Conditioner

Hair Beauty Secret #4: In the unhappy event that you are suffering from flaky bits, go read what I learned the hard way about Seborrheic Dermatitis.

Stay tuned for the rest of the Head-to-Toe series: Skin, Face, & Pedicures.
~Suzanne

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

The trusty husband had the dermititis. No amount of natural or over the counter products cured it after 2 years. He finally bit the bullet and went to a doc and she prescribed heavy medicated shampoo and a mousse like stuff that I apply to his scalp periodically. Cured it in 3 days.

Anonymous said...

I *love* Marilyn as an occasional deep-conditioner. Yummy.

Anonymous said...

Baking soda? A solid shampoo? I have to admit, I'm a bit intrigued. Thanks for these suggestions.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the hair color info!

I've been using Loreal Color Spa for the last few months. I have med-dark brown hair, and got really bad highlights in April. Yuck. It was supposed to be blond highlights, and caramel lowlights. Um, can you say "red"? Just doesn't look good with my coloring, rather coppery.

Sooooooooo, I've used the Color Spa to help blend, while the yucky highlights grow out.

Question, I'm getting ready for permanent hair color. I do not want to over dry or over process my hair. I'm getting a few gray hairs around my face & where I part my hair. What would you recommend, for drug store hair color (Target, whatnot), that won't over dry or over process?

Thanks so much!!

Suzanne said...

Esther, I'm real happy with the Marc Anthony (which is a drug store product) product for color and LUSH products - for non-drying shampoo and conditioners that really condition.

Anonymous said...

I wonder if Marc Anthony has a non-permanent color?