Quote of the Day

9.07.2008

Blindness by Jose Saramago



I just finished Blindness by Jose Saramago. It was interesting but I'm not sure if I liked it. It's an ugly story, well-told. Citizens of a modern city are suddenly afflicted with blindness, not just a few of them, but most of them. Quickly all the trappings of civilization are shed as the nameless citizens kill, rape, and misuse one another. Saramago narrates all this without benefit of quote marks, indentation, or other normal paragraphing, giving it all a breathless rushed feeling, as if he has to get the story out before either he or I are also struck with the white blindness.

Of course, Saramago is telling a bigger story, one in which we are reminded that we are one disaster away from savagery. As I said, it was interesting, but I'm not sure if I liked it.

~Suzanne

Technorati

1 comment:

bereweber said...

hello Blindness is one of my favorite books, and yet, i agree with you! it is a hard read, you can either be very depressed after this book or try to find some light at the end of the tunnel. I think is a clear struggle between good and evil here. And I think Saramago's style was perfect for this story, the book is so frustrating some times, that makes you feel like you are blind too! A great read, but agreed, a hard one that leaves you with some empty spaces in the heart, and the head too. Still, a must-read, I considered it.