Quote of the Day

9.08.2008

Focaccia in a KitchenAid Standmixer

My Gift is working far too many long hours, so I am trying to keep him well-fed. Here is our newest favorite, lightly adapted from a recipe found over at A Year in Bread.



Focaccia


Pop into your stand mixer and mix until just combined:
  • 5 C flour
  • 1 t bread-machine yeast
  • 1 1/2 C warmish water
Let rest for about 20 minutes, then add and mix for about 10 minutes:
  • 1/3 C olive oil
  • 1/3 C dry white wine or water
  • 2 T chopped rosemary
  • 2 t coarse salt
Cover, let rise until double.

Heat up your baking stone in a 450 oven.

Divide the dough into two parts. Pat each part into whatever shape is going to fit on your baking stone. You may want to use baking parchment. Poke dimples into each part and drizzle with:
  • 1/4 olive oil
  • 2 T chopped rosemary
  • 1 t coarse salt
  • 1 C grated hard cheese
Cover and let rest for about 20 minutes or until it pooks back when poked. Slide them onto the baking stone and cook at 450 for 10 minutes and at 375 for 15 minutes.

~Suzanne

Technorati ,


2 comments:

Rachael said...

Suzanne,

So glad I can comment again! It's hard to hold my tongue when I've got somethin' to say! :)

I was supposed to make the foccacia yesterday, but...I ended up making homemade clay for my daughter's science project and a doll bedding set instead. SO, my kids got Taco Bell for supper, I confess.

On tonight's docket though: homemade foccacia with spagetti using my recently canned marinara sauce. I'll let you know how it turns out! (I've got to go figure out where in the world I've got a baking stone. I know I have one, but where...???)

Rachael said...

OK, I made the foccacia. It it FABULOUS and was well received around here.

My only small problem was that I didn't read the directions fully through, so I didn't realize I'd be halving it and making two. I only have one round baking stone. So, I had to make the other on a cookie sheet, but it turned out good too, thankfully.